5.16.2012

Is It Worth It?

I remember a couple years ago, I saw this ad on tv about children starving in Africa. I remember thinking: these people aren't going to guilt trip me into giving money. Then I rationalized to myself, even if I do give money, half of it won't even go to the child. The truth is, I probably just spent that money on Starbucks or a cute dress. WAS IT WORTH IT? I just want to remind you all to think before you buy. As Americans, we often buy because we CAN or because we WANT to. I want to encourage you to say    NO to a bunch of the "little things" and do a big thing.  Save and give it away.  It is worth it. Each time I JUST SAY NO, I have been able to invest the money into a precious life. Whether it be feeding a sweet mother who is in downtown Phoenix, or helping a Filipino go to school...IT WAS WORTH IT! It's not that investing spiritually or emotionally into the lives of people isn't important, but it is harder for me to invest financially for a variety of excuses I have made. In truth, if you are paid more than 20,000 USD per year, you are in the top 90% of the world. You are blessed and you can bless others. "The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written,"He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever." He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way TO BE GENEROUS in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God." (2 Corinthians 9:6-11 ESV) The less you spend the more you can give away!!!  So next time you go to buy that fancy dinner on Saturday Night that you DESERVE or that shirt that was "on sale", please just think about it.  IS IT WORTH IT?

1 comment:

  1. thank you for this. I love this truth, and the reminder is great as well. love you Miller's and praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete